DAY #3 Durango to Pagosa Springs (a whopping 88 miles, their toughest day yet)


They left Durango around 5:30 and arrived into Pagosa Springs at 2 pm—this meant 8 ½ hours of biking!! Ben arrived around 2:30 or 3:00pm, but he made it 🙂 For Danielle and myself, the drive from Durango was only 1 ½ hours or so, but they barely crossed our path. The riders did lots of loop-ti-doops through farm towns, and it was treacherous and invigorating at the same time. There was lots of up hills and down hills. Ben did not seem to have as much trouble with numbness because I guess there was enough of a balance of down hills. At one point he just let his bike rip and found himself passing the cars, who were traveling between 40 and 50 miles per hour. At one point there was a bottle neck where cars were slowing way down in order to try and pass bicyclists, and the bicyclists were all bunched up—Ben told himself, “what the heck?” and he got in a second lane with faster traffic and just passed the whole bunch (around 40 mph). –He said that was a lot of fun. All three came back sore from head to toe and we did what we could to try and rub their aches away.


Danielle and I , during the day, found our hotel, was able to check in at 10 am (awesome,) then took our bikes and the baby bike trailer out of our UHaul, and perused Pagosa Springs. It is the most adorable little city and would be worth a vacation. The above is a picture of the Hot Springs Motel where we would like to stay next time we come to town. They have a small river-walk, followed by a bath that took us along the Hot Springs River. I hope we get to stick around more tomorrow in order to have a picnic and walk in that beautiful river. We went shopping and purchased a couple light and airy blouses (one for Jess too).


When our gang came into town, we found the a most delicious hamburger place that serves goat burgers, and macho – man burgers, and other amazing burgers, and they brew their own beer. Everything is made with a beer marinade—the burgers were out of this world.

Our hotel room is small but very cute—one bedroom with a queen bed and one roll out couch that sags in the middle.  It has a kitchen which is wonderful. Jess does not mind, she said she is sleeping with me tonight. There is stuff all over the floor, including  the mattress —much more comfortable! Lloyd is sleeping in the gym, but explained that last night the lights that were suppose to be out at 9:30, were kept on all night—yuck! So tonight he spoke with management and made sure they would be turning the lights off. What a miserable nights’ sleep for Jess and Lloyd.

This evening, most of us went in the hot springs pool at our hotel (we loved it! Especially the baby. Ben stayed in the hotel –didn’t think getting “hotter” sounded like fun, but it was so good on the sore muscles.

Tomorrow is the 92 mile day—both Jess and Lloyd plan on taking the day off (yea for us—that means they can explore Pagosa Springs and Alamosa with us.) Ben is still planning on riding that 92 miles—needs prayer that he can manage it—there is suppose to be lots of downhills and I think someone said it is not suppose to be as bad as today. Jess conked out and did not write her blog about today’s experience yet so you could look up her blog tomorrow and see if she had time. Love to you all, Until next time,   Margie


About margeebee

I have a wonderful husband (Lloyd) who has always supported me and I love him very much. I am a mom --I have three grown children and a son-in-law. --God and my family are my highest priorities and we have so much fun together. My most recent profession is that of being a sign language interpreter. I graduated from an interpreter program when I was 58 and have devoted much of my time since then to learning the language. I love my Lord and try and spend time with him every day. He is helping me learn the intricacies of sign language. I pray for my family and friends often -- They are an inspiration to my life. I enjoy hanging out with Deaf people and teaching deaf children English--that is always a rewarding experience. My husband and I enjoy worshiping God through Israeli dancing and often pray for Israel and our country. We enjoy traveling throughout Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska and Israel while ministering. I became a grandmother for the first time in 2012, and am enjoying watching my daughter and son-in-law raise this little one. I have the privilege of babysitting my precious grandson 3 days a week and for that, am putting everything else aside.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s