DAY 2 Cortez to Durango (a mere 64 mile bike ride)

Danielle and I got to follow the riders part way yesterday and today because our paths crossed often as we were driving). It was quite interesting trying to avoid the streams of bicyclists. Often I would veer into oncoming traffic in order to avoid bicycles. It was fortunate there was not much on-coming traffic but I like to say that to make it sound more dangerous. Also, the center line had bumps on it, so it was quite noisy every time we crossed over the line, so I usually managed to straddle the line which was, at times very nerve-wracking.

After arriving into Durango, Danielle and I tried to check into the hotel early (noon), but were unable to check in till 3 which was frustrating for our bikers because they arrived into town around 1:00 pm, after riding for 7 hours, hot and sweaty and wanted a shower. Lloyd and Jess ended up taking a shower there at the high school and then set up their sleeping bags in the gym—wanting to enjoy the full experience,” they wanted to try sleeping in the gym with all the other riders. It was wall to wall sleeping bags and rules about “lights out at 9:30.” They said they slept OK. I was skeptical, but I guess they did alright.


In the meantime, Danielle and I took a leisurely breakfast and got on the road around 9 am—their paths crossed ours and we followed many many bikers as we made our way to Durango. We dropped off the trailer at the hotel and went back, trying to find the crew at one of the rest stops. Danielle was able to track their progress. We arrived at rest stop #3 just in time to kiss Jess good bye as she was getting ready to leave. Ben was still there, and we chatted with him for awhile; Lloyd was long gone—today was a specially difficult day for Ben because there was a lot of up-hill climbs and he was having trouble with his feet going numb, so he had to stop often. But he plowed through and arrived only a half hour after Jess and Lloyd. Ben loves the down hill—yesterday it was mostly down hill and he loved it. Lloyd, on the other hand, realized he is a climber and enjoys the up – hills so much more. Jess is somewhere in between. All made it to town by 1 pm or so, and we took the opportunity to just take it easy and rest and listen to their stories.  Read more great stories on Jessica’s blog site: jessicabenes.comImageImageImage


About margeebee

I have a wonderful husband (Lloyd) who has always supported me and I love him very much. I am a mom --I have three grown children and a son-in-law. --God and my family are my highest priorities and we have so much fun together. My most recent profession is that of being a sign language interpreter. I graduated from an interpreter program when I was 58 and have devoted much of my time since then to learning the language. I love my Lord and try and spend time with him every day. He is helping me learn the intricacies of sign language. I pray for my family and friends often -- They are an inspiration to my life. I enjoy hanging out with Deaf people and teaching deaf children English--that is always a rewarding experience. My husband and I enjoy worshiping God through Israeli dancing and often pray for Israel and our country. We enjoy traveling throughout Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska and Israel while ministering. I became a grandmother for the first time in 2012, and am enjoying watching my daughter and son-in-law raise this little one. I have the privilege of babysitting my precious grandson 3 days a week and for that, am putting everything else aside.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s